Roasted and Toasted

I was strolling through the produce section and spied big, gorgeous heads of cauliflower.  According to the World’s Healthiest Food website, cauliflower and the other veggies in the Brassica family (cabbage, broccoli, collards, kale, rutabagas, turnips, arugula, radishes, and more) should be eaten 4-5 times a week due to their fabulous cancer fighting, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, cardiac health, and detox abilities (not to mention that one cup of cauliflower also has almost a day’s worth of Vitamin C).


Yes, roasted cauliflower soup would be perfect for dinner as a side for my delicious cheese bread.  (I know the bread is supposed to be the side, but my family is so enamored with this new style of bread I’ve been making, they more often than not put it in the center of the table and the main course over at the edge).

Below is a recipe for the rich and thick, nutritious and delicious soup I made…and a few pictures! (I’ve been hearing my blog needs more pictures…so here they are.  While you are cooking, please excuse me while I go clean the flour off my camera…)

Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Roast Cauliflower Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
2T extra virgin olive oil
6 whole cloves garlic
1t salt
1t fresh ground black pepper
1/4t fresh grated nutmeg (love my Microplane grater!) 


Instructions:
-Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat cauliflower.

 
-Roast in single layer on parchment-lined cookie sheet in 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until cauliflower is soft and browned.


Soup Ingredients:
1 medium onion, finely diced
1T olive oil
1T butter
3T flour
2c chicken stock (homemade!)
1c milk (or half-n-half for a richer soup - I used milk)
3T sherry

Instructions:
-Add olive oil and butter to large sauce pan over med heat until bubbly.
-Reduce heat to med-low and saute onion until soft and golden (about 10 minutes). 
-Sprinkle flour over onions and stir for 1-2 minutes until completely combined and bubbly. 
-Add stock and milk all at once and whisk constantly over medium heat just until thickened. 
-Remove from heat. 
-Add cauliflower and puree with hand mixer until smooth (taking care not to splash hot soup on your neck like I did last night).
-Adjust salt and pepper as necessary.
-Stir in sherry (more or less to taste).
-Eat and enjoy! (Makes four servings)

 
I served our soup with homemade Artisan Bread in Five Minutes cheese bread (made with Tillamook cheddar) topped with grated Tillamook Garlic White Cheddar and toasted under the broiler until bubbly and golden!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan! I love cauliflower soup but never made it at home. I'd definitely roast them to make the soup. We usually eat broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbage, and arugula, but probably not frequent enough...maybe 3 times? I need to work on that more! Thanks for the great info and delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Nami! I do use a lot of garlic in this recipe, so if you are not as crazy for garlic as I am, you can cut out half or more.

      ~Susan

      Delete