No Bunny Does it Better


Photo by Susan Wenzel

Easter is just around the corner which means it’s an egg’s time to shine!  So, I have to share my favorite way to prepare colored eggs for some bunny special.  

I usually hard boil and decorate at least three dozen eggs (one dozen per kid and one for ME!) which means there is blue and pink tinted egg salad to spare – for days.  This year, I’m excited to say, in keeping with my husband’s heritage, I found Egg-in-Wrap Polish egg sleeves available through Leemar Enterprises. They can also be found in a Polish grocery store near you.  This year's eggs are sure to be gorgeous - wrapped and then dyed coordinating colors. 

     
As for the coloring part, I quit buying the egg decorating kits with the cardboard punch out rings on the back of the box for dip drying the wet eggs long ago and now use regular old-fashioned food coloring in the little squirty bottles (and dry on a cooling rack set over newspaper).  The colors are brilliant and can be as varied as your wildest dreams.  The McCormick food dye we buy (Neon and Regular, if you please) has instructions on the back of the box for all kinds of brilliant and crazy colors (Stormy Blue or Watermelon Red, anyone?).  I follow them to the letter and am always pleased with the results.  (1t white vinegar, 20 drops dye, 1/2c boiling water.  Leave eggs in solution for minimum of 5 minutes for best results).


Now that you have a new, old way to color your eggs, I have to share the absolute best way to hard boil them.  I used to think I knew how but sometimes still ended up with green coating on the yolks indicating I’d overcooked them – yet again.  However, I’ve been using this fail-safe method for many years now and always have perfect results:  Place eggs in a pan and cover with one inch of cold water.  Bring to a full boil over high heat.  Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand for ten minutes.  Using slotted spoon, remove eggs from hot water and place into bowl of ice water for five minutes.  Dye eggs a rainbow of colors and leave in an easy-to-reach location for the Easter Bunny to find and hide.

As a note, if you are not going to color your hardboiled eggs for Easter, you might still add a few drops of dye to the water to tint the eggs and ensure they don’t get mixed up with the raw ones in your fridge!

Happy dipping!

By the way, here’s what I don’t get about that rabbit, though.  The chickens lay the eggs and we cook them and color them, but he gets all the credit.  That’s some funny bunny business, if you ask me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment