Oh, Redondo


How I love you so. I’ve often said that one of the big things I miss about Hawaii is the food…and the flowers. But mostly the food. Portuguese sausage is one of those. One time we returned to Hawaii for a visit and I stuffed a suitcase with Hawaiian BBQ sauce and…you guessed it…Portuguese sausage. Silly to some, but anyone who has ever tasted the spicy salty red greasy goodness understands the passion.

Portuguese sausage may be a Hawaiian import, but it is nearly as popular as Spam - so much so it is served on their McDonald’s Big Breakfast with eggs, rice AND Spam. My favorite, Redondo’s Portuguese Brand Sausage, won Honolulu Magazine's 2008 award for "Best Portuguese Sausage."  (I didn't even know there was such a thing) 


Imagine the little dance I did when I spied the links of Redondo’s Portuguese Sausage – spicy and mild – in the meat cooler at a local store. It was expensive - $5.99 for a 12 ounce link, but I didn’t care. It was mine all mine and worth every penny.


This morning for breakfast I steamed the rice, scrambled the eggs and sliced and fried the 100% porky goodness and called the family to the table. 

Oh, Redondo...

3 comments: