A Good Cooker - Memory Lane



My daughter was eating Nutella this morning when a song popped into my head, “Koo-koo-koogly eyes…koo-koo-koogly eyes.”

Where had that come from?  Why did Nutella remind me of this silly ditty?  In the back of my mind, I thought it had something to do with flavored peanut butter…a commercial maybe…but exactly what, I wasn’t sure.  My husband and I - both children of the 70’s - started brainstorming.  We remembered Goober Grape peanut butter, but that wasn’t it.


So, I Googled Koogle…

...and discovered I was right!  Via the Kraft Foods history timeline, I found my answer.  In 1971, Kraft kreated chocolate, vanilla, banana, and cinnamon flavored peanut butter with googly eyes on the jar label!  What a great blast from the past!  I don't ever remember eating it, but apparently the commercial stuck in my head right next to "Hong Kong Phooey.  Number one super guy..."

Check out this old Koogle commercial: 



Further trivia…I learned the Koogle jingle was based on a popular song from 1923, “Barney Google.”


No comments:

Post a Comment